Similar to the kidney in human beings, kidney in dogs is also a very vital organ with same functions. There are two kidneys, are made up of small structural and functional units called nephrons. Millions of nephrons filters act as a filtration system that secretes waste products and reabsorb essential substances back into the blood.
Kidneys also regulate blood pressure, blood volume, blood sugar, water composition and pH levels. In general terms, kidney disease includes many diseases and metabolic problems that can disrupt the normal functioning of the dog’s kidneys. Senior dogs over the age of 10 years are more prone to kidney diseases. The disease develops gradually, and dogs eventually lose the total functioning of their kidneys.
Acute kidney disease or kidney failure can cause an abrupt stoppage of kidney functions over a period of days. It can occur due to ingestion of toxins like certain foods, medications etc. Chronic kidney disease takes place slowly over a period caused by underlying illness, congenital and hereditary conditions. As per specific studies, one of the leading causes of chronic kidney failure is dental diseases. Bacteria enter the bloodstream and attack the principal organs like heart, liver, and kidneys causing irreversible damage.
There are four stages of kidney diseases in dogs which can be determined by blood tests:
- Stage 1: Concentration of creatine levels are less than 1.4 mg/dL
- Stage 2: Creatine concentrations levels between 1.4- 2 mg/dL/ Clinical symptoms are not noticed at this stage. Dogs may be drinking more water and urinating
- Stage 3: There is a high acceleration in creatine levels from 2.1 to 5. At this stage, symptoms of kidney diseases are more severe.
- Stage 4: In this stage, the creatine levels exceed mg/dL. Only about 10% of nephrons are functioning and is the end-stage kidney disease.
Unfortunately, Most of the cases of kidney failure cannot be detected until it reaches stage 3 or 4.
Dogs with kidney diseases show a few of these symptoms:
- Loss or decreased appetite
- Change in water consumption and urine volume
- Depression and stumbling/lethargy
- Weight loss and vomiting
- Blood in urine
- Pale gums and chemical odor of breathe
- Oral ulcers are a common sign during the last stages of kidney disease
There can be many causes of kidney diseases in dogs, and some of the common ones are given below:
- Age and genetics: With growing age, a dog’s kidney can be put under strain due to various toxins and proteins.
- Addison’s disease: Adrenal glands are situated one each on top of the kidney. Addison’s disease occurs because of poorly acting adrenal glands which result in the imbalance of important salts like potassium, sodium, and water.
- Cushing’s disease: In this condition, the adrenal glands produce an excess of hormones called glucocorticoids. This results in the increase blood flow through renal arteries damaging the arteries in the bargain.
- Kidney stones are caused by increased levels of calcium, infection, and urine with high pH.
- Bacterial urinary tract infections like pyelonephritis can cause kidney failure.
- Ingestion of toxic substances like grapes, raisins, antifreeze, and certain medications can damage the dog’s kidneys.
Treating any of the above kidney conditions is essential and begins the earliest treatment. Depending on the stage and state of kidney disease, doctors may choose to go for fluid therapy, drugs that increase urine production, management of blood electrolyte abnormalities and high blood pressure. If left untreated, kidney failure may occur which may prove to be fatal.
Yes, it does hurt to see your fur babies suffer so much. Bagdara Farms has the ideal product called Barkumin to take care of the dog’s kidneys. It has the perfect blend of curcumin and turmerone which has potent therapeutic properties.
- Chronic inflammation that refuses to go away can be the reason for kidney diseases. Curcumin removes the inflammation from the body which treating the kidney diseases.
- Curcumin is known to reduce the levels of TNF-Alpha, prevented activation of NF- kappa B thus preventing the kidney diseases.
- At times, chronic renal diseases can also lead to renal cancer. The antioxidant properties of curcumin act as effective chemopreventive agents against such kinds of tumors.
- Cyst formation in polycystic kidney disease can lead to kidney enlargement. Curcumin and turmerone can reduce this condition.
Barkumin can be given to the dogs in various ways. One of the simplest and fuss-free ways would be to make a paste of this product by mixing ½ cup Barkumin, 70 ml olive or coconut oil, one tsp ginger powder, one tsp cinnamon powder, one tsp pepper and 1 cup of water. Boil all these ingredients and give it to the dogs as per the dosages stated below:
For a small dog: ½ tsp Barkumin
For a medium-sized dog: ½ tsp Barkumin
For a large dog: ¾ tsp Barkumin
For a giant dog: 1 tsp Barkumin
Start with small quantities and gradually increase the dosage over a period.
Buy Barkumin Now!