Cancer is by any standards one of the most dreadful diseases known to mankind. Out of all the different forms of cancer that are prevalent in the world, leukaemia is by far the most deadly of the lot. Leukaemia is a condition in which those parts of the body are affected that are involved in forming blood. These include the bone marrow and the lymphatic system. As a result, the body starts producing an excess of damaged white blood cells. This causes a huge problem since white blood cells are responsible for fighting off infections that invade our bodies on a regular basis. As you can imagine, the biggest fallout of this abnormal growth of flawed white blood cells is a compromised immune system which makes the body vulnerable to a host of germs that are present in the environment.
Leukemia-ridden abnormal cells start forming in the bone marrow and eventually begin to overcrowd the space available thus pushing out healthy cells or even permanently shutting down their creation and development.
Types of Leukaemia
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) – This form of leukaemia is more common in children than in grownups. It originates in the bone marrow.
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) – This form of leukemia is often found in adults. Even though it starts in the bone marrow too, it quickly progresses to the bloodstream.
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) – This form of leukemia is known to afflict the elderly more often than others. It is known to be slightly less aggressive than the other types of leukemia since it progresses at a much slower rate.
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) – In this form of leukemia a faulty alteration occurs at a very early stage of the myeloid cells. These cells are responsible for creating red blood cells, platelets, and a majority of the white blood cells. This condition is mostly seen in adults but can also afflict children in rare scenarios.
- Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia (CMML) – This form of leukemia occurs in the elderly more often than others. This condition is characterized by an abnormally high number of monocytes in the bloodstream as well as the bone marrow.
As is the case with most forms of cancer, leukaemia excessively brings along with it some very punishing symptoms. In addition to this, the treatment of leukaemia involves procedures that have painful side effects. Hence, most patients and their loved ones are constantly on the lookout for natural remedies that can alleviate the intensity of the symptoms of leukaemia as well as enhance the effectiveness of treatment procedures so that the disease can be routed out faster. Curcumin is one such natural substance that has gained increasing popularity over the past few years. Found in the commonly used spice, turmeric, curcumin has many therapeutic properties that have been found to be very beneficial in managing all forms of leukaemia.
Benefits of Curcumin Therapy for Leukaemia Patients are :
- Curcumin has a remarkable ability to detect cancerous cells, isolate them from healthy cells, and induce cell death or apoptosis in them. In the case of leukaemia, these cancerous cells are produced in the bone marrow. In addition to this, curcumin also hampers the proliferation of these damaged cells thereby reducing the chances of metastasis.
- Through the process of angiogenesis, cancer cells flourish as they continuously receive oxygen and other nutrients. By suppressing angiogenesis specifically for cancer cells, curcumin has the ability to starve out cancer cells thereby preventing their multiplication.
- Curcumin has very strong antioxidant properties that are known to give the immune system the boost that it requires to fight various infections. In the case of leukaemia, since the immune system is compromised, curcumin can be all the more useful in keeping diseases at bay. Curcumin improves the body’s antibody response by maintaining the balance between pro-oxidant and antioxidant species thereby keeping oxidative stress at a minimum.
- Curcumin can improve the body’s response to various standard leukaemia treatments like chemotherapy and radiotherapy. By suppressing the activity of a substance known as nuclear factor-kappa b, curcumin makes the abnormal cancer cells more vulnerable to chemotherapy drugs.
- Chemotherapy and radiotherapy are both very aggressive procedures and can sometimes have an adverse effect on healthy cells as well. Curcumin can protect the healthy cells from the toxicity that radiation therapies and chemotherapy can induce. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of curcumin are responsible for doing this.
Cancer patients need to be treated with additional care especially since their bodies are already weak and vulnerable. Hence it is all the more important to ensure that the curcumin supplement that they are being administered is of the highest quality and purity. Any chemical adulterants or residues can prove to be highly fatal for them. Oncomin is a curcumin supplement created by Bagdara Farms, a unique venture dedicated to the cultivation of organic and adulterant-free curcumin. The curcumin grown at Bagdara is free from unwanted chemical residues since it is grown sans synthetic fertilizers or pesticides. If you or any of your loved ones have been battling leukaemia, Oncomin can help you improve your quality of life tremendously. Give it a shot!